Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Daily Struggles

When it comes to Spina Bifida what daily struggles come to mind?

Someone who doesn't have SB may say simple tasks such as using the shower, cooking, or making the bed. While that may be true, sometimes the daily struggles include things such as paying bills, grocery shopping, and even transportation. Since I have become an adult those tasks have been a challenge.

There hasn't always been an easily accessible bus stop, and I have lived in an area so dangerous that I can't stroll down to the bus stop. So what did I do? Signed up for online banking and online billing. That has been a great asset. As for groceries, I still have to get rides from friends and family. That will change soon, as I am a few steps away from getting my driver's license. That is a story for another post.

I will admit due to these challenges, some may perceive irresponsibility on my part. They don't understand the hoops I have to jump through to get the simplest things done. I do get down at times, but I think back to where I was and realize I have come a long way.

You may think, "What about having a social life? Hasn't that been a struggle?" For me, it hasn't. Sure, when I was a kid I got picked on but who didn't. I learned to stick up for myself, become more sociable and because of that, I now have great friends. I will share more about my childhood in more detail in a later post. Please keep in mind, I am not pushing for things to be done a certain way; I simply wish to share my journey.

Have any other ideas? Comment below or message me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment