Sunday, September 11, 2016

Childhood to Adulthood

Growing up with Spina Bifida was tough. As a kid I was picked on in school. I didn't have many friends. I didn't have my first real friend until 4th grade. I didn't start going out and doing things unil I was about 15 or 16. Things weren't all bad though. I had my siblings to do stuff with when I was bored. I always got my medical supplies I needed right on time. I had parents who cared for me, things you don't appreciate at a young age. I remember thinking "I can't wait until I am adult, things will be better then." Boy was I wrong. At 18 I tried to look for a job and couldn't find anything. There was a program I was in to help me find work but they were basically a middle man. I was doing everything on my own and they weren't helping much. I had to find a new provider for my medical supplies since the other one was for those under the age of 18. You get so much help as a kid but once you become an adult you get dropped so fast with no idea of what to do. I guess that isn't any different from anyone else's  experience going into adulthood. Then I found out if I work I will be cut off my medical insurance. That wouldn't be any good since I have many doctor appointments and could not afford my bills on my own. Now I live off SSI. Is it annoying? Yes because it feels like a handout. I don't feel like a responsible adult. But it is what it is. I am writing this as a warning for others with SB. Don't make the same mistakes I did. Don't think life will get easier, it won't. Adult life will smack you right in the face. Be involved with others who have SB. I grew up without having anyone around to understand my frustration and now I am barely getting to meet others with SB. To any parents who have a young child with SB remember this, do not make his/her disability your disability treat him/her like you would any other child. Let them set their own limits. To any young kids and teens who have SB I say this, You are disabled, not unable.

No comments:

Post a Comment