Friday, September 16, 2016

Making Friends

As I mentioned in another post I didn't have many friends when I was younger. I was picked on and made fun of for being in a wheelchair. Kids would avoid me as if I was contagious. How did I overcome this? To be honest, I have no clue. As far as I can tell, I have always been the same. 

I am a geek and a bit of an idiot at times. I have always been a talker and try to make small talk with those I come across. One day it worked and I made some friends.  The friends I made were not the popular or cool kids. But that was okay. They were cool with me and that's all I cared about. I didn't care about fitting in. Let's face it, no matter how hard I try, I won't exactly fit in. I will always stick out like a sore thumb. 

If you are having a hard time making friends remember be to be genuine and honest. Don't be afraid to say that you like or do not like something. Don't say you like a movie/show you know nothing about. Take a genuine interest in others; it's not always about you. For those who have SB like me, if someone comes up and asks why you are in a chair, just answer them. It could be their way of starting a conversation with you. That could be your new best friend.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment