Monday, September 26, 2016

Wisdom

For about 10 years now, I have had people come to me for advice. Some have told me it is because they see me as wise. Others have said I have a good head on my shoulders. I don't see either one of those in myself. I just like to help out when I can. I do notice that I have a natural skill at reading people and I appear to be approachable. Two qualities most people would love to have. 

At times it feels like a burden to have such qualities. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy helping people but at times it feels like it can be a bit much. Individuals have told me very personal things within 15 minutes of meeting me. Things that should not be said when you first meet someone. There are a group of people that I call my "clients". I would like to call them friends, but I know nothing about them other than their problems. When I have asked to hang out, they tell me they can't. But as soon as an issue comes up, I am the first person they call or text. Sure, I complain but I still help out the best way I can. Why? Because I would feel guilty otherwise. 

So if I would call myself something it would simply be a nice guy. What does this have to do with spina bifida? I honestly feel if it wasn't for my disability, I would not have the same outlook on life. I try to make the best of my situation. That is probably why people listen to what I say. They want the same outlook. The same happiness.

I usually tell people let things go. Do not hold grudges. Appreciate what you have and don't be so materialistic. Granted, my views are also based on my biblical beliefs but that is a topic for another time. My point to all of this? Those who know me don't think of me as this "wise beyond his years" person, I am simply a nice guy. And those of you who have SB, learn to appreciate your life. Make the best of your situation. You are disabled, not unable.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment