Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Don't you wish you could walk?

That is a question I get asked quite a bit. Some have even assumed it to be so, saying "I bet you really want to walk". My answer is always the same: "What makes you say that?". 

To be honest I have too much fun being in the chair. A lot of perks come with it. I get pushed to the front of lines at amusement parks, movie theaters, concerts, and other big events. People offer to open doors for me. It's pretty nice. 

Sometimes people will ask "Doesn't it bother you to see others walking around knowing you can't?" Why should it? I never really hear anyone saying how great it is to walk. Most of the time I hear people complaining about walking. So why desire something others complain about? In my opinion,  there is always going to be someone out there who can do something that you can't, such as playing an instrument or singing. It's just something I can't do and I can't change that. Why fuss about it? I still have fun. I swim, go camping, hang out with great friends, and get around when I need to.

My life isn't a complete mess just because I can't walk. There are still things I can do that others can't. My life would be a mess if I focused too much on what I can't do and not on what I can. Now, I don't assume all those with SB feel this way. That is just my viewpoint. But never assume those who are disabled are depressed because of their situation. Some have adapted to their situation and are content because of it.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment