Friday, September 23, 2016

Disabled or not.

Once I became an adult, I have noticed that at times I am seen as disabled and other times not. When it comes to certain programs to help with transportation, getting my license, or housing, I may not qualify. Although when it comes to anything medically related, I am considered disabled. This has become very frustrating. 

You may think, "it counts where it matters, right?" Wrong.  I need help with transportation, housing, and getting my license. Sometimes when it comes to meeting people, I can't find that balance. One person may see me as completely helpless and ask things like how I get dressed, how I shower, and how I get through the day. Another will see me as a regular person which seems fine at first, until they expect me to do something I just can't do. 

This problem of seeing my situation as I need help 24/7 or I don't need help at all is a daily struggle. I don't know what to do to change it other than be myself, show what I can and can not do. I cannot change what other people think, only how I think.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment