Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Feeling like an Outcast

Growing up I never felt like I fit in. I was always picked on. No one wanted to be around me, as if I was contagious. I never wanted to go to school because of it. Every day was the same. The kids would laugh and make fun of me or they would stare. I hated their stares the most. At school, I had to carry my medical supplies in my backpack and the other students would often find them. They would ask what it was and I would be too embarrassed to tell the truth.

My days in elementary school were miserable. I didn't get my first real friend until 4th grade. After that, I never kept many friends. I always had a small circle of close friends. What changed? To be honest, I have no clue. Even though I started to make friends, I still felt like no one understood me. No one would really know the struggles I go through each day, being in a wheelchair. I remember thinking things would be different if I had a friend with SB.

Now, as an adult, I am becoming more involved in the SB community. I see now I barely fit in, still. I think and act differently than most in this community. It's nice to meet others who have been through the same struggles I have, but sometimes that is all they want to talk about. The conversation can get very depressing that way. So, have things changed? No. I still don't fit in. Truth is, I never will and that's okay. As long as I am friendly with others, willing to take an interest in people, and not focus so much on myself things will be fine.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment