Saturday, September 24, 2016

High School

Most people talk about high school like it was the best time of their life. For me, it was a giant mess. 

It all started on the first day of school. I was on my way to school with my schedule in one hand and the map in the other. My transportation was what many of you would call the "short bus", so I was around mentally challenged students. Once we got to school, teachers were coming to get students for the special ed class. One of the teachers mistakenly thought I was going to the same class with the others. I'll be honest, I was a little offended by that. The teachers realized I wasn't supposed to go to the class and took me to one of the school counselors. 

The counselor was told to change my P.E. class to adaptive P.E. I informed her that was not needed and if she would please show me to my first class. The morning started off rough, but I got through it. Later that afternoon, I met my P.E. teacher and let her know I would be able to take her class. She saw no problem and let me go on my way. Soon after I was shown the locker room. One of the teachers there once again made an assumption and asked if I was in the right area. When I answered, he then asked, "when do you get out of the chair?". Once again feeling irritated, I explained I would be able to take regular P.E. with no problems. I was so glad once I got home. It was so annoying having to deal with that all day. 

After that, freshmen year was pretty simple. It was not the end of my problems for high school. Sophomore year started out fine. The teachers knew who I was and no assumptions were made. However, that year I had a big surgery scheduled. Each one of my teachers told me not to worry about school work, that I would be fine. Wrong. I was out of school for at least a month. Once I came back, I was falling behind. The rest of the school year, I was in home school. I caught up and passed with all B's. 

Junior year I was in for a surprise. I don't remember how it was brought up but I soon found out that I only had the credits from freshman year. Apparently, all the classes I took for home school were marked as special ed and not any specific subjects. That was the last straw. I was fed up. I was done trying. 

All I wanted was to go to school and get my work done. Nope, I had to face opposition every step of the way. Looking back, it was a dumb decision to give up, but I was too frustrated to think things through. Never did see my senior year. I dropped out. Do I regret it? Yes. I should have stuck it out. It is what it is. I can't change that now. My advice to you young ones, SB or not, is to stay focused. No matter what, do your homework. Do what you can to graduate. It will be worth it in the end.

Editor: Esmé Nicolson-Singh (redsbreadslady)

No comments:

Post a Comment